The concept of owning a restaurant business in today’s digital world has shifted from only providing exquisite dishes and exceptional customer services. A solid online presence is equally crucial in enhancing your visibility, attracting customers, and boosting your reputation.
Considering the number of tourists visiting various countries for an amazing time, statistics have shown that restaurant searches are one of the highest search queries in the world, with over 6.5 million searches for ‘restaurant near me’ recorded monthly in the U.S. alone. Even locally, increasing your customer base doesn’t come with facing significant competition from other restaurants.
So, as a restaurant owner, how do you beat the competition, establish positive online visibility, attract potential customers, and rake in huge profits? The answer is by engaging in restaurant Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
In this guide, we will discuss everything you need to know about restaurant SEO and the different ways to get ahead of the competition regarding search engine rankings and customer engagement online. Let’s dive in.
SEO For Restaurants: What Does It Mean?
First and foremost, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) involves the various practices that improve a website’s visibility and search rankings on search engines, such as Google. Hence, SEO for restaurants or restaurant SEO is the method of engaging in various SEO techniques to enable a restaurant website to gain a prominent online presence on search engines and drive more organic traffic to the business.
SEO for restaurants is primarily centred on optimizing website content, performing keyword research, optimizing and enhancing image quality, improving local SEO, optimizing mobile view, and improving the overall user experience from the moment they arrive on your website, place an order and checkout. You can increase the likelihood of your restaurant’s visibility in search engine results and attract your customers’ attention, whether locally or internationally.
The goal of restaurant SEO is to employ these SEO strategies to stand out from the competitive restaurant industry, reach a broader audience, increase conversion rate, grow your customer base, and ultimately rake in more profits.
Importance of Engaging in Restaurant SEO
The world’s population relies heavily on search engines to find restaurants and has also gotten accustomed to finding dining options online. Hence, optimizing your restaurant website for enhanced visibility is essential to being among the top diners and providing real online and offline customer experiences.
Although restaurant SEO is a long-term goal, it yields tremendous benefits to the owners when embarked upon. Some of these benefits include:
- Increased Online Presence: A solid SEO strategy can boost your restaurant’s search rankings by enabling it to appear at the top of search results. This will give your business a higher click-through rate, enhance your online business profile, and attract more visitors.
- Increased Online Reservations and Orders: When your website is optimized to meet various customer’s food search queries, there’s a higher probability of experiencing increasing orders and reservations at your restaurant.
- Increased Revenue: Having search engine supremacy over other competitors will invariably attract more customers to your restaurant, increase the number of online bookings and orders you get, and ultimately increase the revenue that accrues to your business.
- Improved User Experience: With restaurant SEO, your website’s on-page elements, such as navigation, page speed, meta descriptions, and mobile responsiveness, are improved to enhance user experience, resulting in increased customer engagement and a higher conversion rate.
- Improved Brand Awareness: One of the key benefits of SEO for restaurants is its potential to build brand awareness. According to Google, there has been over 900% increase in ‘near me’ searches, indicating that local customers make up the majority of restaurant visitors. Local optimization for restaurants will improve awareness, help you generate positive online reviews, and increase sales.
9 Ways to Boost Your Restaurant Online Presence With SEO
There are various approaches to SEO that you can employ to improve your website visibility and rank higher in search results. You may have an idea about these approaches, but doing it the wrong way can negatively affect your business.
One of the benefits of SEO experts is that they have a vast understanding of the core strategies to help your restaurant business rank higher on search engines. Hence, this section will provide a comprehensive approach to enhancing your restaurant’s online presence using the best SEO strategies.
1. Redefine Your Target Audience
If you have not been attracting the right customers to your restaurant, it’s probably because you are targeting the wrong audience. Your target audience are the people who are more likely to visit your restaurant, order online, or eat in. They mostly include individuals with similar tastes, habits, and traits.
If you have identified these audiences, you can then go ahead and optimize your website and other digital marketing platforms to serve your target audience.
2. Create a Roadmap for Relevant Keywords
After establishing your potential diners, the next thing is to create a roadmap for primary keywords that are related to the services offered by your restaurant and also correspond to the organic search terms entered by your target audience. You can achieve this via keyword planning.
Keyword planning entails listing the target keywords you want your restaurant website to rank for on search engines. They could be single-focus keywords, such as “pizza,” or keywords for restaurants, such as “Italian restaurants,” “Mexican restaurants,” etc., or location keywords, such as “best Italian restaurants in Houston,” or long-tail keywords, such as “menu list of the best Italian dining near me.”
You can utilize a free or paid keyword planning tool to help highlight some semantic keywords associated with the ones you’ve laid out. Some powerful tools you can use to perform keyword research include:
Note: It’s much easier to plan and research keywords when you:
- Find search terms related to your product, service, or marketing strategy.
- Perform a competitor analysis to identify the keywords they are ranking for.
- Incorporate brand messaging, such as your business name, into keywords and,
- Think about synonyms for your keywords.
3. Optimize Your Local Restaurant SEO
We have identified the importance of your restaurant being visible to people searching locally. Research has shown that people visit nearly 1.5 billion locations through search engines. So, you must make targeted efforts to optimize your local SEO, either through a reputable agency or an in-house team.
There are three effective SEO strategies to consider if you’re looking to optimize your restaurant business for local SEO:
A. Optimize Your Google My Business Listing
The first step towards improving your local SEO efforts is by creating a Google My Business listing. This allows your business to be listed on Google so that potential customers looking at the listing can access vital information about your restaurant easily.
There are three steps to get your business listed:
Step 1: Create a Google Business Profile
- Visit the Google My Business website, register using the Gmail ID linked to your business, and click ‘Next.’
- Input the name of your business. Google will present you with suggestions for existing listings with similar names. If a listing with your business name already exists, claim it by clicking on it.
- Afterward, select the business category for your restaurant.
Step 2: Input Your NAP Details
- After creating your Google Business Profile, you must enter your restaurant’s name, address, and phone number. You will be redirected to Google Maps to identify your restaurant’s location. Click ‘Next’ once done.
- After adding your business locations, go ahead and input your contact details, including your phone number and the URL of your website, and click ‘Next.’
- Narrow down the NAP details you would like Google to portray in the listing and click ‘Finish.’
At this point, your Google My Business listing is ready to be published. This moves us to the final step.
Step 3: Verify Your Google My Business Listing
Your prepared listing will only be published after Google has verified your account. A verification postcard will be sent to the address provided for your business to verify your account. The postcard will contain a verification code you’ll use to update your Google My Business listing. Once verified, your listing will be made live.
B. Optimize Google Maps
For a restaurant business, optimizing Google Maps provides many advantages, especially when your target audience needs directions to locate your restaurant. Optimizing Google Maps is pretty easy once you have set up your Google My Business listing.
All that’s required is to carry out a simple search for your business on Google Maps. Once you identify your listing, click ‘Claim this business’ and ‘Manage Now.’ Perform an online verification to get your restaurant registered on Google Maps.
C. Create User-Generated Content Within Google Post
One of the benefits of having a live Google My Business and Google Maps listing is that you can utilize Google Posts to create scenes content that will be displayed alongside your Google My Business and Google Maps listing. Publishing short scenes content using Google Posts can boost your digital presence and online reviews, help improve local SEO rankings, and add credibility to your listing.
There are four types of posts available on Google Posts. You can leverage all four to reach a broader audience and direct online traffic to your restaurant. The posts include:
- What’s New: Keeps your customer abreast of new additions to your restaurants. It can also feature menu items. You can create teaser posts to pass information across in this section.
- Offer: For promoting any discounts you might be offering on special menus.
- Product: For promoting or displaying images of dishes offered in your restaurant.
- Event: This post features information about events or live performances that are set to take place in your restaurant.
Note: Content on Google Posts is live for seven days after posting, except event posts, which stay live for about 14 days. You can leverage Google Posts to incorporate your focus keyword that appeals to your target audience and make the content engaging with high-quality photos and content.
Also, include a CTA button on your Google Post with direct links to your website. This allows potential customers reading your post to be redirected to your website.
4. Optimize Your Images
One of the comprehensive SEO strategies available to restaurant businesses is image SEO. Your website will have more images of food and the serenity of your restaurant, and you must ensure you serve your online traffic with high-quality images. You can employ a food photographer to create snaps that showcase the appeal of your dish galleries and signature dishes.
While the visual appeal of your restaurant and the food images are important, filling your website with high-resolution images can cause it to lag, thus affecting the page speed. Paying attention to the image size, resolution, and format is essential in enhancing page speed and user experience.
Consider the following points to optimize your website images:
- Give Images Appropriate Names: When naming images, use niche keywords containing the image’s main subject of the image. Remove generic terms that have nothing to do with the image.
- Compress Image Sizes: Large images slow down the website’s loading speed. Hence, you must use effective tools to compress images and reduce their size without affecting quality. Also, ensure you choose the best formats for your images. JPEG and PNG are the preferred formats.
- Use SEO-Friendly Descriptive Alt-Text: Alt-text appears for images that haven’t loaded completely, and it’s crucial that when your images aren’t loading, PC or mobile users can capture the image idea via description. Hence, creating a descriptive SEO-friendly alt-text for your images is best.
5. Create a Blog Section
A regular restaurant website will contain a few pages: a homepage, about us, menu items, a review page, contact, and probably an upcoming events page. Although you can have high search rankings on search engines if these pages are optimized expertly, having a blog section can drive more traffic to your website, increase your customer base, enhance your marketing efforts, and improve search rankings for different food topics.
You could create high-quality content about topics related to your restaurants’ signature dishes, mission statements that include locally sourced dish ingredients, and DIY recipes for some special menus. You could also use your blog posts to promote your restaurant’s marketing campaign, thereby reaching a wider audience base.
A blog section also allows for easy SEO optimization of your website. You can employ a content marketing agency to help curate engaging SEO-friendly content that could help you gain a competitive edge over competitors.
6. Link Building
Link building is a beneficial SEO strategy to boost your online presence, draw traffic to your restaurant website, and build online credibility. Link building involves getting other websites to link back to your website. You can use link building in various ways to improve your restaurant SEO.
One such way is by including internal and external links to your blog post. Internal links help direct your target audience base to other pages on your site, while external links direct your audience to another website.
You can also get other websites to link to your restaurant’s website. When other websites link to yours, it helps your site gain authority regarding the topic discussed on the linked page. This signals to Google that your restaurant can be trusted, allowing Google to endorse you for online searches with your target keywords. This invariably leads to more online visibility.
7. Optimize Your Social Media Platforms
Social media is pivotal in boosting your online presence and attracting more customers to your restaurant. With the abundance of social media platforms, it’s safe to say that the majority of the world lives on social media, and taking advantage of this can provide your business with the social media presence it needs to flourish.
Curating social media posts that include beautiful images of your restaurants and well-optimized dish galleries and sharing updates about upcoming events at your diner can enhance social media engagement and serve as a platform to drive traffic to your business.
You can check out your competitors to gather valuable social media insights and incorporate them as you optimize your social media platforms.
8. List Your Restaurant on Review Site and Generate Positive Reviews
Positive customer reviews are instrumental in enhancing your rankings on local search results. They can help increase the CTR (click-through rate) that comes to your website, increasing traffic and providing more potential customers.
Moreover, the restaurant industry is heavily dependent on reviews. According to research, restaurant sales have increased by 5-9% due to a single star increase in Yelp ratings. Positive reviews showcase the quality of a restaurant, thereby attracting more customers. A negative review, on the other hand, should be avoided.
Positive reviews often influence customers’ inquiries and reduce time spent on search engines. You can get positive reviews by providing excellent customer service and encouraging them to rate and review their experiences. You can also get your business reviewed by review sites such as Tripadvisor, Yelp, and OpenTable.
9. Hire a Reputable SEO Agency
SEO must be incorporated for your restaurant to establish a lasting digital presence and visibility. There are many technical aspects to optimizing restaurants’ SEO, and to leverage them expertly, you will need the service of a reputable SEO agency.
Icepick has a team of highly experienced SEO experts who can give your website the touch it needs to rank on search engines. Contact us today, and let’s help take your restaurant search visibility to the next level.